[ngIRCd-ML] ngIRCd 0.8.2

Alexander Barton alex at barton.de
Wed Jan 26 23:57:55 CET 2005

Hi All!

ngIRCd 0.8.2, the "hey there are contributors" release has just hit the
ground :-)
Many thanks go to Florian Westphal for his work!

Everybody running an older version of ngIRCd should upgrade to this
version because some remotely exploitable security related bugs (that
could cause the daemon to crash) have been fixed!

Note: if you are using the CVS HEAD branch then you should run an CVS
update and use the current code base.

Changes since version 0.8.1 are:

   - Added doc/SSL.txt to distribution.
   - Fixed a buffer overflow that could cause the daemon to crash. Bug
found
     by Florian Westphal, <westphal at foo.fh-furtwangen.de>.
   - Fixed a possible buffer underrun when reading the MOTD file. Thanks
     to Florian Westphal, <westphal at foo.fh-furtwangen.de>.
   - Fixed detection of IRC lines which are too long to send. Detected by
     Florian Westphal, <westphal at foo.fh-furtwangen.de>.
   - Fixed return values of our own implementation of strlcpy(). The
code has
     been taken from rsync and they fixed it, but we didn't until today
:-/
     It has only been used when the system didn't implement strlcpy by
itself,
     not on "modern" systems. Florian Westphal,
<westphal at foo.fh-furtwangen.de>.

You can download ngIRCd 0.8.2 (~271 KB) from:

   - <http://download.berlios.de/ngircd/ngircd-0.8.2.tar.gz>
   - <ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/ngircd/ngircd-0.8.2.tar.gz>
   - <ftp://Arthur.Ath.CX/pub/Users/alex/ngircd/ngircd-0.8.2.tar.gz>

And the patch from 0.8.1 to 0.8.2 (~3 KB) as well as GnuPG signatures
can be found here:

   - <ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/ngircd/>
   - <ftp://Arthur.Ath.CX/pub/Users/alex/ngircd/>

This release has been tagged as "rel-0-8-2" in the CVS.

Regards
Alex

--
Alexander Barton, Freiburg, Germany